The first celebrity kidnapping: baby charles lindbergh

The First Celebrity Kidnapping: Baby Charles Lindbergh

The body of aviation hero Charles Lindbergh’s baby is found on May 12, 1932, more than two months after he was kidnapped from his family’s Hopewell, New Jersey, mansion.

Lindbergh, who became the first worldwide celebrity five years earlier when he flew The Spirit of St.

Louis across the Atlantic, and his wife Anne discovered a ransom note in their 20-month-old child’s empty room on March 1.

The kidnapper had used a ladder to climb up to the open second-floor window and had left muddy footprints in the room. In barely legible English, the ransom note demanded $50,000..

The crime captured the attention of the entire nation. The Lindbergh family was inundated by offers of assistance and false clues. Even Al Capone offered his help from prison, though it of course was conditioned on his release. For three days, investigators had found nothing and there was no further word from the kidnappers. Then, a new letter showed up, this time demanding $70,000.

It wasn’t until April 2 that the kidnappers gave instructions for dropping off the money. When the money was finally delivered, the kidnappers indicated that little baby Charles was on a boat called Nelly off the coast of Massachusetts. However, after an exhaustive search of every port, there was no sign of either the boat or the child.

READ MORE: Inside the Capture of the Lindbergh Baby Kidnapper 

On May 12, a renewed search of the area near the Lindbergh mansion turned up the baby’s body. He had been killed the night of the kidnapping and was found less than a mile from the home. The heartbroken Lindberghs ended up donating the home to charity and moved away.

The Kidnapping | American Experience | PBS

Lindbergh | Article


  • Copy Link

The First Celebrity Kidnapping: Baby Charles LindberghCourtesy of New Jersey State Police

Charles Augustus Lindbergh, Jr. was born on June 22, 1930. The son of Charles Lindbergh, the famed aviator, and Anne Morrow Lindbergh, the daughter of a diplomat, Baby Charlie was destined for fame.

But his parents could not have imagined just how famous their baby would become, nor could they have imagined the tragedy that would put him and themselves on the front pages of America's newspapers. Baby Charlie was suffering from a cold during the last weekend in February, 1932.

On Tuesday, March 1, Charles and Anne were spending a quiet evening at home in Hopewell, New Jersey. Betty Gow, Charlie's nurse, rubbed medication on the baby's chest to relieve congestion. At about 7:30, Betty and Anne put Charlie Jr. to bed.

Betty and the Lindberghs went on about their separate chores that night. At 10 p.m., Betty Gow made a horrible discovery — baby Charlie was gone. Charles Lindbergh later recounted his initial reactions: “…

I went upstairs to the child's nursery, opened the door, and immediately noticed a lifted window. A strange-looking envelope lay on the sill. I looked at the crib. It was empty. I ran downstairs, grabbed my rifle, and went out into the night…”

The “strange-looking envelope” that Charles Lindbergh found on the window sill contained a badly written ransom note:

Dear Sir,
Have 50,000$ redy 25000$ in 20$ bills 15000$ in 10$ bills and 10000$ in 5$ bills. After 2-4 days will inform you were to deliver the Mony.
We warn you for making anyding public or for notify the Polise the child is in gut care.

Indication for all letters are singnature and 3 holds.

By 10:30 that night, radio news bulletins were announcing the story to the nation. Nearly every newspaper in the country gave the story prominent placement in their March 2 editions. Soon, sightings of the Lindbergh baby were coming from all quarters: California, Michigan, Mexico. None turned out to be genuine. Colonel H.

Norman Schwarzkopf of the New Jersey State Police was officially in charge of the investigation, but Schwarzkopf, the father of 1991 Gulf War leader U.S. General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, willingly ceded major responsibility for the investigation to Charles Lindbergh. But running a kidnapping investigation was no job for an amateur.

Lindbergh's inexperience allowed for major errors — footprints near the house were trampled and pieces of evidence were handled by a variety of people assembled at the compound. Other blunders would follow.

Command headquarters were established in the Lindbergh's Hopewell home, and Lindbergh let it be known that he had appointed an intermediary to deal with the kidnappers. But others — acting independently — were vying for the job of go-between. On March 9, 1932, John F.

Condon, a 72-year-old retired teacher and coach from the Bronx, called the Lindberghs claiming that he had made contact with the kidnappers. Condon had written a letter to the Bronx Home News offering to act as an intermediary between Lindbergh and the kidnapper. The day after his letter was published someone purporting to be the kidnapper contacted him.

Condon, operating under the alias “Jafsie,” was allowed by Lindbergh to try to contact the kidnapper. A series of graveyard meetings took place. Condon came to refer to the kidnapper as “Graveyard John.” On April 2, the ransom money was delivered by Condon to Graveyard John while Charles Lindbergh waited in a nearby car.

Graveyard John gave Condon a note supposedly revealing the baby's whereabouts. The note led Lindbergh and Condon in search of a boat called the Nelly, “between Horseneck beach and Gay Head near Elizabeth Island.” No boat and no baby were found. Lindbergh had been double-crossed.

Then, on May 12, 1932, 72 days after the kidnapping, the decomposed body of a baby was found in the woods near the Lindbergh house. The child had been dead, probably due to a fractured skull, since the night of the kidnapping. Two days later Charles Lindbergh identified his son's body by examining its teeth. The kidnapping investigation was now a murder investigation.

Serial numbers from the money used to pay the ransom had been carefully recorded, despite Lindbergh's initial reluctance. The first bill surfaced in New York only three days after the ransom was paid. Over the next two years more and more would appear. Slowly the authorities moved forward.

Finally, on September 19, 1934 police arrested Bruno Richard Hauptmann, a German-born carpenter. A search of Hauptmann's home yielded fourteen thousand dollars of the Lindbergh ransom. He claimed to be holding it for a friend, Isidore Fisch, who had since died. Despite his pleas of innocence, Hauptmann was indicted in October 1934 for the murder of Charles Lindbergh Jr.

The “Trial of the Century” got underway in the small town of Flemington, New Jersey on January 2, 1935. Sixty thousand people — reporters, novelists, movie stars, and society matrons — crammed into tiny Flemington. The town had one hotel and one bar to accommodate some of the biggest names in journalism, Walter Winchell, Fanny Hurst, and Damon Runyon among them.

Hauptmann was defended by Edward “Big Ed” Reilly, a flamboyant attorney who was reputed to have seen his better days. Both Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh were called as witnesses. Charles testified that he recognized Hauptmann's voice from the night that he and Condon had delivered the ransom money to the cemetery.

When Hauptmann took the stand he denied all involvement with the crimes. He went on to say that he had been beaten by the police and forced to alter the way he wrote so that his handwriting matched that found in the ransom note. Testimony ended in early February of 1935. Following 11 hours of deliberation, the jury found Hauptmann guilty of murder in the first degree. He was sentenced to death. At 8:44 p.m. on April 3, 1936, Bruno Richard Hauptmann was put to death in the electric chair. Right up to that moment doubts about Hauptmann's guilt existed. Appeals were made all the way to the Supreme Court. None were successful. The Governor of New Jersey himself voiced doubts about the verdict.

See also:  Points of view: first, second, and third-person | grammar

Following Hauptmann's death, some reporters and independent investigators came up with numerous questions regarding the way the investigation was run and the fairness of the trial.

Questions were raised concerning issues ranging from witness tampering to the planting of evidence. Twice during the 1980's, Anna Hauptmann sued the state of New Jersey for the unjust execution of her husband.

Both times the suits were dismissed.

Marc Hoover: Was Charles Lindbergh involved in his son’s kidnapping and murder?

The First Celebrity Kidnapping: Baby Charles Lindbergh
Marc Hoover

Charles Lindbergh was born in Detroit, Michigan in 1902. His father, also named Charles Lindbergh was a U.S. Congressman. With the senior Lindbergh in politics, the family once lived in Washington D.C. The younger Lindbergh became the first international celebrity in history. Lindbergh wanted to become the first man first man to fly an airplane across the Atlantic Ocean without stopping.

He received support from a group in St. Louis to make his flight a reality. To honor his group, he named his plane The Spirit of St. Louis. He competed for a $25,000 prize put up by a wealthy Frenchman named Raymond Orteig. Lindbergh’s journey began in New York and ended in Paris.

The plane had a larger fuel tank so it wouldn’t be necessary to stop for fuel. Lindbergh flew the plane with the side windows open thinking the cold air and rain would keep him awake. Lindbergh completed his journey in 33.5 hours.

On May 21, 1927, Lindbergh safely landed in Paris. A crowd of 150,000 people had welcomed him for completing his record-breaking journey.

When his flight had ended Lindbergh said sleep deprivation caused him to hallucinate and see ghosts.

Lindbergh received a parade in his honor in New York and many awards. He donated his plane to the Smithsonian Institute in 1928 where it remains today.

Typically, this would be a great ending. Unfortunately, Lindbergh would also become linked to an international story. Charles married Anne Morrow who gave birth to their son Charles Lindbergh Jr.

The Lindbergh’s were a happy family until their lives took a dramatic turn for the worst. On March 1, 1932, Lindbergh’s son vanished. Someone had taken him from his room. The mysterious kidnapper left a note demanding $50,000. Several days later, a revised note turned up for $70,000.

The First Celebrity Kidnapping: Baby Charles Lindbergh

At around 10 p.m. on March 1, 1932, nursemaid Betty Gow went to make a final check on twenty-month-old Charles Lindbergh, son of the famous aviator of the same name.

To her surprise, she found that baby Charles was missing from his cot. She went straightaway to seek out his mother, Anne, to see if she had taken him.

Anne didn’t have the baby, so Betty went to see Charles, who was in his study.

He didn’t have the baby either and he was alarmed to hear that Charles junior was missing from his crib. He rushed up to the nursery to check for himself. Betty was right. The baby was missing.

The Clues Left Behind

As Charles looked around the room his eyes alighted on a white envelope that had been left close to the windowsill. Written in poor English it read:

Dear Sir! Have 50.000$ redy 25.000$ in 20$ bills 15.000$ in 10$ bills and 10.000$ in 5$ bills After 2–4 days we will inform you were to deliver the mony.

A thorough search of the kidnapping scene revealed smudged footprints underneath the nursery window. Two sections of ladder had been used to reach the window; these were found near the house.

One of the sections was split, suggesting that the ladder had broken during the descent. There were no bloodstains in or about the nursery, nor were there any fingerprints.

Help From a Friend

On March 6th, five days after the kidnapping, Charles received a second ransom note. This increased the ransom demand to $70,000. It was followed by a third and fourth ransom note, at which point a trusted local ex-headmaster named Dr. John F.

Condon offered his services. He suggested trying to make direct contact with the kidnapper by placing a series of adverts in local newspapers. If the kidnapper responded to his adverts, he could act as an intermediary in any ransom negotiations.

It was a long shot but to everyone’s surprise it worked. The kidnapper responded and, from this point on, all his notes were sent directly to Dr. Condon.

One of these contained instructions for him to meet with an unidentified man called ‘John’ at Woodlawn Cemetery in New York. Dr. Condon duly went along, met with ‘John’ and discussed payment of the ransom money. In return, the stranger handed Dr. Condon the baby’s sleeping suit, proof enough that he had little Charles.

After an exchange of yet more notes, Dr. Condon once again met with ‘John’. He handed over $50,000 and was told that the kidnapped child could be found on a boat named Nellie near Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts. An extensive search and rescue mission failed to find any boat of that name.

A Tragic Discovery

On May 12th, almost ten weeks after the kidnapping, the body of a baby was found, partly buried and decomposed, some five miles from the Lindberghs’ home. 

Who was the culprit of this grisly crime?

To find out the answer, listen to the full episode of our new podcast, Unknown History, in the top right hand player of this page or on iTunes, Stitcher, and Spotify. Plus, c

Woman gets unexpected windfall and unearths family tie to a 1932 murder mystery

When Rebecca Stanley got an email to say she was an heir to an estate, she dismissed it as a scam. But her sister received the same correspondence and told her the hunt for beneficiaries to a £250,000 inheritance was real.

Rebecca remembers her “Uncle Derek” as a child, who was actually a first cousin of her father’s. Due to his unstable mental health and a “feud”, the families had lost touch. Last year, when Derek Lewis Mercer, from Hastings, East Sussex, died aged 74 he had no-one to leave his parents’ house to. 

Finders International, a firm of probate genealogists who find missing heirs, who have appeared on BBC 1’s Heir Hunters, found 21 relations and Rebecca and her sister received £10,000 each. 

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It’s also lead to the unearthing of the family’s links to the 1930s kidnapping and murder of the baby of world famous American aviator Charles Lindbergh. Dubbed “the crime of the century”, it was one of the first high profile cases to receive intense media attention around the world.

Derek’s mother, Emily, and aunt, Violet Sharpe, had gone to the US to work, and Violet had been employed as a maid at the home of Lindbergh’s mother-in-law. The latter became one of the early suspects, and died by suicide in suspicious circumstances, some say. Was Violet involved in the kidnapping or did she know more than she let on?

“I was actually already aware of the story, having researched it myself for the last eight years,” said Rebecca. “Finders International then had a dig into it too. It’s a fascinating story of a murder that will sadly always remain a mystery.”

Danny Curran, owner of Finders International, with Rebecca (Photo: Fiona Hanson)

Ransom notes

On 1 March 1932, Lindbergh, who gained celebrity status after becoming the first person to make a non-stop solo flight across the Atlantic, and his wife Anne discovered their 20-month-old baby Charles Junior had vanished. A ransom note, written in broken English, demanding $50,000 was left in the nursery.

A ladder had been used to climb up to the second-floor window of their secluded house in Hopewell, New Jersey, and muddy footprints were left in the room. There were no blood stains nor fingerprints. For three days, frantic searches were fruitless. Then, a second ransom note was sent, this time demanding $70,000.

See also:  How are calories in food measured?

Several crime figures – including Al Capone – spoke from prison, offering to help return the baby in exchange for money or for legal favours.

American aviator Charles Lindbergh pictured with his wife Anne (Photos: Left, Fox Photos/Getty Images, right, Fox Photos/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

A third ransom note was sent, agreeing an intermediary between the Lindberghs and the kidnappers. The intermediary, Dr John F.

Condon, communicated with the kidnappers through newspaper adverts, and he met a man who said his name was John and a “Scandinavian” sailor, part of a gang of three men and two women, in a cemetery in the Bronx. The stranger agreed to provide a token of the child’s identity.

Further ransom notes were sent, upping the demand to $100,000 and a baby’s sleeping suit as proof was received by Dr Condon on March 16. Lindbergh confirmed it was his son’s.

It wasn’t until 2 April that the kidnappers gave instructions for dropping off the money. When the cash was delivered, the kidnappers said baby Charles was on a boat called Nelly off the coast of Massachusetts.

However, after an exhaustive search, there was no sign of either the boat or the child.

On 12 May, the infant’s body was accidentally found, partly buried, and badly decomposed, about four and a half miles southeast of the Lindbergh home. The child was killed by a blow to the head and had been dead for about two months.

The case went cold for more than two years until in September 1934, when a marked bill from the ransom money turned up. A suspicious gas station attendant noted the car registration number of the man who gave it to him. It was tracked back to a German immigrant and carpenter, Bruno Hauptmann.

He had a criminal record for robbery and had spent time in prison. Detectives searched his home and found $13,000 of the ransom money. Hauptmann claimed that a friend had given him the cash to hold and that he had no connection to the murder.

This friend was Isidor Fisch, who turned out to be a shady character, but he had died in Germany.

Charles Augustus Lindbergh and Bruno Richard Hauptmann who was sentenced to death by electric chair for the murder of the infant (Photos: Left, BIPS/Getty Images, right, Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

Doubts over conviction

According to the prosecution’s case, tool marks on the ladder at the scene of the crime matched tools owned by Hauptmann. Wood in the ladder was said to match wood used as flooring in his attic. Dr Condon’s telephone number and address were found scrawled on a door frame inside his closet. Experts testified that handwriting on the ransom notes matched samples of his handwriting.

Hauptmann’s appeals were unsuccessful and he was executed on 3 April, 1936, just over four years after the kidnapping. Yet the trial generated great controversy. It was argued that the case against him was largely circumstantial.

In court, Dr Condon dropped his previous misgivings to identify Hauptmann as ‘Cemetery John’. Until his arrest, the police believed a gang had carried out the crime and two sets of footprints were discovered at the Lindberghs’ house.

The police also failed to measure footprints found nearby.

Furthermore, Hauptmann proclaimed his innocence all the way to the electric chair, even when prosecutors offered a last-minute switch to life-without-parole if he admitted his guilt. Why would Hauptmann maintain his innocence, when confessing would mean he would avoid the death penalty?

It was said that there must have been accomplices. But it was case closed for the detectives: The investigation has dragged for two and a half years, causing them huge embarrassment, and had already cost $1.2m (£11m today).

Circa 1933, Lindbergh attends the court case in which Bruno Richard Hauptmann is accused and found guilty of kidnapping and murdering his infant son in 1932 (Photo: Keystone/Getty Images)The electric chair in which Bruno Hauptmann was killed at an exhibition at Newseum in Washington (Photo: Tim Sloan/AFP via Getty Images)

Violet’s ‘suicide’

So where does Rebecca’s relative come into this? Early on in the investigation, officers began to suspect the ­kidnappers had inside help and they interviewed Violet, who appeared nervous during questioning. She became a “person of interest” and was said to have been subjected to brutal questioning by the police and suspicion by the media.

It’s been said Violet, who apparently had liaisons with various local men, simply gave contradictory information regarding her whereabouts on the night of the kidnapping to cover up a trip to meet a male at a speakeasy, which in those days could have caused her shame and fear of being sacked.

On 10 June, 1932, Violet, aged 28, took her own life by swallowing silver polish containing cyanide on the day she was about to be requestioned, according to FBI records. She staggered down the stairs and died in the butler’s pantry. There was speculation she stole the child, then committed suicide when she realised the net was closing in.

An historical newspaper report on Violet’s suicide

But the FBI said that her movements on the night of the kidnapping “had been carefully checked and it was soon definitely ascertained that she had no connection with the abduction”. Following Violet’s death, Derek’s mother Emily immediately returned to England.

Some have claimed Violet’s death raises suspicions of foul play.Another theory also emerged. A prisoner who served on death row with Hauptmann called Arthur Jones claimed that he knew the truth of the kidnapping and that Hauptmann had made him swear not to say anything about it until after his death in 1936.

Jones asserts that there was a kidnap ring, involving Hauptmann and lead by Dr Condon and that the plot was instigated by Lindbergh, because his child was “not normal” in that he couldn’t walk or talk.

He maintains the baby was taken by Violet, who he says was “tricked into the part she played”.

  In a letter, available on the State of New Jersey’s website, he claims Hauptmann was told by the prison governor not to talk or his wife and child would be in danger.

Following the death of Violet, Dr Condon was also questioned by police. Lindbergh stood by him and the police dropped the matter. Jones wrote to officials but failed to get anyone to take his version of events seriously.

A newspaper clipping shows Violet and her sister Emily, also known as Babs

Secrets taken ‘to the grave’

“Babs may have known secrets about one of the biggest crime mysteries but has taken them to the grave”

Rebecca Stanley

Rebecca says she has her suspicions about Violet’s apparent suicide. “Cyanide can cause death within a matter of seconds,” she said. “I’m suspicious how she managed to get down several flights of stairs from where the cup she drank from and dropped was found.

“This was the 1930s, around the time of prohibition an an era of corruption. Through my research I discovered another reason why Violet was suspected by the police.

They’d found a letter sent back home to England in which she’d written she was ‘sick of babs crying all the time’. Her sister Emily, who also went by Edna, I knew her as Babs. So Violet was referring to her sister.

The police must have thought she meant she was sick of the baby.

Lindbergh Kidnapping collection

  • Finding Aid
  • Prepared by Dyani Scheuerman and Rhonda Rinehart,  2004; Updated April 2018
  • Inclusive Dates: 1927-1992
    Extent: 3 cubic feet (1 record storage box, 2 oversize boxes)
    Physical Location: 11th floor

Historical Note: On May 20, 1927, Charles A. Lindbergh became a famous figure in American history when he made the first solo trans-Atlantic flight from New York to Paris. Five years later, on March 1, 1932, he again became the object of much media attention when his 20-month-old son, Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr. was kidnapped from his nursery. The events that followed the kidnapping, including the search for the young Lindbergh boy, negotiations with the kidnappers, discovery of the child's decomposed body, and the trial of the kidnap and murder suspect Richard Bruno Hauptmann, culminated into a complex and puzzling case involving numerous people. The case's popularity led to the “Lindbergh Law,” which defined the crime of kidnapping to be a federal offense punishable by death. The case itself was unanimously considered an open and shut one, which led to Hauptmann's execution for the kidnapping and murder of Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr. on April 3, 1936. However, nearly 80 years later, many questions surround this case and “the trial of the century,” including Hauptmann's guilt.

See also:  All about air pressure

Scope and Content: This collection, donated by Albert and Helen Borowitz, contains photographs, clippings, posters, and other documents related to the Lindbergh kidnapping and subsequent trial of Richard Bruno Hauptmann.

A large portion of this collection includes press photographs and newspaper clippings, which give a telling glimpse into the ethos and pathos of 1930s media, and its direct influences on events surrounding the Lindbergh case.

Many of these photographs, complete with detailed captions, were used in various newspaper publications during the years of the kidnap and trial.

Five distinct time periods are well-represented by this collection, and include the Lindbergh family before the kidnapping took place, the kidnapping itself, the time frame during the search for the child, the investigation, and the courtroom trial of Hauptmann.

The complete FBI file report about the case is also present in this collection as well as “Reward” and “Wanted” posters circulated during the case. In addition, a pamphlet satirizing a fictional kidnapping paralleling the Lindbergh case and mailed to the Hauptmann jury prior to the trial, is an important item in the collection.

Related Material: Evidential and press photographs taken during the investigation are present in a separately-acquired collection, entitled Lindbergh Kidnapping Photographs, 1931-1932. Special Collections and Archives also holds several books about the Lindbergh case, which are cataloged in KentLINK.

Restrictions on Use: Kent State University does not own copyright to the photographs in this collection. Permission must be obtained from copyright holder(s) for duplication.

Box 1: Photographs, Clippings, and Other Materials
Folder — Contents

Press Photographs

  1. John H. Curtis, one of the five intermediaries in kidnapping case, April 1, 1932
  2. Ernest Joseph Brinkert, possible suspect identified by Violet Sharpe [Lindbergh household maid], June 11, 1932
  3. John Hughes Curtis, one of the five intermediaries in kidnapping case, June 27, 1932
  4. Charles Boettcher, Jr., friend of Lindbergh family, February 14, 1933
  5. Mrs. Gaston B. Means, wife of Gaston Means, whose husband was one of the five kidnap intermediaries, May 8, 1933
  6. View in West Farms court of Hauptmann trial, September 21, 1934
  7. Isador Fisch and Henry Uhlig, September 23, 1934
  8. Isador Fisch, passport photograph, September 24, 1934
  9. Isador Fisch, from whom Hauptmann claimed he received ransom money, September 27, 1934
  10. Isador Fisch, unidentified friend, and Henry Uhlig, September 27, 1934
  11. Anita Lutzenberg, Hauptmann friend, September 27, 1934
  12. John Bowman, alias John O'Day, held for questioning in Lindbergh case, September 30, 1934
  13. James M. Fawcett, attorney for Bruno Hauptmann, October 11, 1934
  14. Joseph M. Furcht, Hauptmann employer, October 17, 1934
  15. Hunterdon County Courthouse, January 8, 1935
  16. Greta Henkel, Hauptmann acquaintance, January 26, 1935
  17. Elvert Carlstron, Hauptmann trial defense witness, January 30, 1935
  18. Elvert Carlstron, Hauptmann trial defense witness, January 31, 1935
  19. Elvert Carlstron, Hauptmann trial defense witness, January 31, 1935
  20. Philip Hockenbury, Charles Walton, and Liscom C. Case; three jurors in Hauptmann trial, January 31, 1935
  21. Elvert Carlstron, Hauptmann trial defense witness, February 2, 1935
  22. Sam Streppone, Hauptmann trial defense witness, February 5, 1935
  23. Witnesses for Hauptmann's defense, February 6, 1935
  24. Carl Henkel, Greta Henkel, Hentry Uhlig, acquaintances testifying on Hauptmann's behalf, February 9, 1935
  25. Philip Hockenbury, juror, February 14, 1935
  26. Rev. Michael J. Kallok, Catholic priest who testified against Bruno Hauptmann, April 9, 1935
  27. Neil Burkinshaw and Nugent Dodds, pled for a stay of execution for Bruno Hauptmann, January 16, 1936
  28. Attorney General David Wilentz with his wife, February 24, 1936
  29. Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh, October 7, 1953
  30. Charles Lindbergh entering courtroom, undated
  31. Bruno Hauptmann and Charles Lindbergh, undated
  32. Attorney General David Wilentz showing ransom letter, undated
  33. Artist's rendering of Bruno Hauptmann entering the execution chamber, undated

Newspaper clippings about Lindbergh family and kidnapping case (most date from 1930s)

  1. Lindbergh early flights
  2. Morrow family
  3. Anne Morrow Lindbergh speaking engagements
  4. Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr. and family
  5. Lindbergh home and scene of kidnapping
  6. Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr. kidnapping and publicity photographs
  7. Crime/kidnap chronologies
  8. Murder/crime scene
  9. Editorial sketches
  10. Kidnapping bulletins
  11. Children mistaken for Lindbergh baby
  12. Principle figures and clues in case
  13. Betty Gow [Lindbergh baby's nurse]
  14. Violet Sharpe [Lindbergh household maid]
  15. Aids in case
  16. Kidnapping case intermediaries
  17. Al Capone's offer of aid
  18. Kidnapping/murder suspects
  19. Ransom notes
  20. Hunterdon County courthouse [scene of Hauptmann trial]
  21. Judge and prosecutors in Hauptmann trial
  22. Hauptmann trial jury
  23. Bruno Hauptmann, family, and acquaintances
  24. Hauptmann defense
  25. Hauptmann trial evidence
  26. Location where ransom money found
  27. Witnesses and testimonies in Hauptmann trial
  28. Charles Lindbergh court appearances and testimony
  29. Stories related to Lindbergh case
  30. Other kidnappings/threats
  31. Special interest stories and photographs related to case
  32. One year anniversary of Lindbergh kidnapping
  33. Jon Lindbergh, second son of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh
  34. Lindbergh later flights
  35. Lindbergh letters and ties to Germany, New York Times, August 2, 2003

Ephemera and articles about Lindbergh case

  1. $25,000 reward poster for information in Lindbergh case, undated
  2. No. 2310 Criminal File: Exposed! Aviator's Baby Was Never Kidnapped or Murdered [fictional case parallelling Lindbergh kidnapping and trial; mailed anonymously to jury members prior to trial, no date]
  3. Napkin from the Union Hotel, in Flemington, New Jersey [base of operations for journalists during Lindbergh case]
  4. Publication about Highfields, former Lindbergh estate and current correctional facility
  5. The Lone Eagle – Lindbergh [children's book about Lindbergh's life and trans-Atlantic flight, no date]
  6. Hauptmann, play reviews, 1992
  7. Hauptmann, playbill [Cherry Lane Theater presentation], May 1992
  8. Some Things That Can Go Wrong at 35,000 Ft. [play about the Charles A. Lindbergh family in 1939, presented by Case Western Reserve University Department of Theater Arts, June 2-19, 1994]
  9. Trial of the Century, [pamphlet about the Lindbergh trial and Flemington courthouse, includes short bibliography]
  10. “The Lindbergh Kidnapping Case,” by Samuel S. Leibowitz, TV Guide, undated
  11. “Betrayed by Their Own Hand,” by Harriet Thorndike, The Family Circle, undated
  12. “Lindbergh and the Press,” by Silas Bent, Outlook, April 1932
  13. “Why I am Defendeing Hauptmann,” by Lowell M. Limpus, Real Detective,February 1935
  14. “Why We Convicted Bruno Hauptmann,” by Elmer Smith, juror number six, American Detective, April 1935
  15. “Who Helped Hauptmann?,” by Edward Dean Sullivan, Inside Detective, May 1935
  16. “Will Lindbergh Save Hauptmann?,” by Edward J. Reilly, Liberty, October 1935
  17. “Jafsie in the Cemetery,” by Dr. John F. Condon, Liberty, February 1, 1936. [Condon acted as one of the five intermediaries during the Lindbergh kidnapping case, and used the pseudonym 'Jafsie']
  18. ” 'Jafsie' and the Ransom Money, “by Dr. John F. Condon, Liberty, February 15, 1936
  19. “Now Jafsie Tells,” by Dr. John F. Condon, Liberty, March 21, 1936
  20. “Jafsie in Panama Discusses New Evidence,” by Fulton Oursler, Liberty, March 28, 1936
  21. “Jafsie Answers Hauptmann's Death-Cell Accusation,” by Rev. D.G. Werner, Liberty, April 11, 1936
  22. “Strange Stories that Jafsie Told,” by Fulton Oursler, Liberty, April 18, 1936
  23. “What Hauptmann did with the Missing Money,” by D. Thomas Curtin, Liberty, May 1936>

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.